Welcome to the Society of Women Engineers Scholarship Application System
The SWE Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to women studying baccalaureate or graduate programs, in preparation for careers in engineering, engineering technology and computer science. In 2015, SWE awarded approximately 220 new and renewed scholarships valued at over $660,000.
Sophomores and above: Applications for the 2016-2017 academic year will open December 1.
SWE provides one application for sophomores through graduate students and one application for freshmen. Applicants complete an application and are considered for all scholarships that they are eligible for. Applications will be available for the 2016-2017 academic year:
- Sophomores through Graduate Students Application: December 1, 2015-February 15, 2016
- Freshmen Application: March 1, 2016 - May 16, 2016
Note all deadlines are 5:00 p.m. central time. There will be no exceptions to the deadlines.
Scholarship are typically awarded in May (sophomore, junior, senior and graduate students) and July (freshmen students) for use during the upcoming academic year. Scholarship payments are made in September. Recipients are announced in September also.
- Only women are eligible.
- Undergraduates must be planning to study an ABET-accredited program in engineering, technology, or computing in the upcoming academic year. See additional information below for graduate students.
- You must be planning to attend full time (exceptions are made for reentry and non-traditional applicants).
- You must not be fully funded for tuition, fees, and books and equivalent.
Accredited programs are based on ABET accreditation for universities in the U.S. The list of SWE-approved programs is the same list as the ABET-accredited programs in engineering (EAC), computing (CAC), and technology (TAC). Engineering or computer science Masters and PhD candidates must be enrolled or accepted at a school with ABET-accredited programs in engineering, computing, or technology. Visit abet.org for more information.
SWE's Scholarship Program is open to both SWE members and non-members; however, some of the scholarships do require SWE membership. Read about the benefits of SWE membership.
Submitting an Application
Please read through the instructions below.
Confirm your eligibility.
Click on Register Now to create your login and password.
- You will use this login and password to enter the online application system.
- SWE Members: Use the Register Now option if you have not accessed the scholarship system previously.
Fill out your Profile information.
- Once you submit your profile, you will be automatically logged out so SWE can verify your email address.
Check Your Email.
- You will receive an email from SWE. This email will contain a link for you to access to verify your registration. Click the link provided in your email to verify your account.
Tip: Identify the SWE Application System as a safe sender. Add email@example.com to your address book to ensure that emails from SWE are delivered to your inbox.
Login and complete the following steps. Please note that you steps 2 and 3 can be concurrent. Do not wait until you complete step 2 to pursue step 3. We recommend submitting your reference contact information as soon as possible.
STEP 1: SELECT YOUR CLASS LEVEL
- Select your class level from the drop down list.
STEP 2: FILL OUT & CONFIRM YOUR APPLICATION
When you login after verifying your account, select your application from the list of Available Applications (there should only be at most one at any time).
- Fill out the questions on the application page and click 'Continue'. Additionally, you may 'Save for Later' and come back at any point before the deadline to submit the application.
- Confirm the responses you submitted, the terms and conditions, add your signature and 'Confirm and Submit'.
STEP 3: COMPLETE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- By the same deadline as step 2, applicants must also submit contact information for: A faculty reference, a personal reference, and (if applicable) a university financial aid contact. To view the instructions on how to complete these requirements, please click on the appropriate "Show Instructions" link.
- Both references must also complete their recommendations for your application to be considered. Their deadline is ~1 week after the applicant deadline.
- Once SWE has received and processed your documents, the status will say 'Received' or 'Completed' next to each item.
Best wishes with the application process!
Register Now to start the process.
Have a question? Please log in and contact us through the Message Center and allow time for a response. The MC is the best method for asking scholarship questions. If you do not receive a response within a few days from the MC, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If these two methods are unsuccessful, please call 312.596.5223 or 877.SWEINFO (877.793.4636). We do monitor the MC regularly - especially when deadlines are approaching.